Sometimes I just have to remind myself I am not

Monday, June 13, 2005

Underground Internet

So, my mom asked me if I had ever heard of underground internet. I had never heard of it. I googled it, but I am not thinking that the results are connected completely to what she is talking about, but they may just be exactly what she means. The only other thing she said was that it is supposed to be a lot faster than normal internet-so going on that to connect with the results, I concluded that I had no idea what she was talking about.

I found some things about in a sense under the table file sharing, Darknets,
and this tidbit I found a bit funny from: http://carolinanewswire.com/news
titled:
The Underground Internet: Commercialization Now Targets Blogville and Weblogs
05-20-2004

..."Along the way, blogs and weblogs have raised their heads, first as places for Web explorers to provide links to websites they care about and then as diaries for people who think they have something to say. In the United States and elsewhere this has created a vast underground society of interchange that has far different things to express than all our official channels of communication. Now, inevitably, commerce has pushed into the blog world, with AOL and others trying to connect with bloggers, and some companies using weblogs as a means of building internal communication.

We are not sure whether Blogville is good or bad. The weblogs do get a lot of people talking to or at each other. But the prose in them is usually pretty undisciplined, often nattering on to no purpose. The freedom is wonderful in theory, but it does lead to an awful lot of drivel. Yet we find ourselves quite interested in them, because we think they create an atmosphere where intuition and creativity can run rampant, that condition which is the sine qua non of America’s future.

And they further an era, begun by the Xerox machine, where personal, one-on-one communication is shoved aside, since every writer on the Net is talking to an assorted community or to the whole world. Blogs are groupthink, make no mistake about it. The blogger, sometimes a lonely person on the prowl, has given up personal intimacy and letter writing, hoping that anybody, preferably many bodies, will catch hold of his messages. This is not prose about “thee” and “me.”"

Sounds a bit like an "adult" with no clue in some respects-though I am sure it has some accuracy. Other than that, not much about some great speed internet. Any one have a clue?



2 Comments:

Blogger curtis said...

She may have been talking about Internet 2. The article in question seems a bit... confused. I'll read the whole thing, but I'm somewhat confused by it as it stands.

2:36 PM  

Blogger ~Jace said...

Aha, that makes more sense, thanks Curtis.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[Top]